So we are getting everything prepared here for calving, which starts like 2 weeks or so from now. We have lots to do and the past two days I have been working my rear off on the horse barn. I realized that I am way way way out of shape and that I really missed ranch work. The last ranch we worked on I was not allowed to help except during night calving so to say the least I am out of shape;) But it was nice getting to get out there and do some good ole fashioned manual labor:) Oh don't get me wrong I still had fun with the tractors and the bobcats:)
We still had drifts a few feet high that we had to get cleared out of the calving lot and around the barn so that took a while, but with this really nice weather it is helping to melt everything, but I hope it dries it out to as it is going to turn into an ice skating rink if not!!
Since we moved here only a month ago, there is lots to do. To say it the nicest the person here before us was a pig and didn't do anything or take care of anything so there is lots to fix and clean. I literally had to shovel out 2 1/2 feet worth of horse poo in the horse barn, he had never cleaned it at all. But at least it helps with some income to for me to work a little here and there. Plus gets me out and doing something:)
We have about 250 head of heifers that we will calve out on our section of the ranch and then we will help with the cows when we are done with the heifers. It will keep us busy to say the least:)
Ohhh I hope that snow stays away during the calving!! You might be dealing with some calf-cicles!! Hope all goes well!!
ReplyDeleteI hope it helps south dakota. Nothing seems to not even low calorie diets and such but hopefully this will help a lot:) Oh and city turned country I to hope for good weather but we usually get a couple storms and last year three blizzards. But luckily we didn't loose a single calf due to the weather. Pray that is the same this year:)
ReplyDelete