Tonight we had to go into town for groceries and it had been a rough day with money, things we need and can't afford and such. It was just a bad day. But we went into walmart and got our groceries and were on our way back to the truck when we heard someone say excuse me. We weren't expecting anyone to say anything so we both turned around kind of quickly and there was a man and when we turned quickly like that he cowered and looked terrified, I felt bad for making him feel that way. We asked what he needed and he said I am stranded and hungry and was wondering if you could help me with something to eat. I could tell he spoke like he was def and looked and acted like he may be autistic. But you could tell he was homeless and had had a rough life to say the least. We said we would be willing to take him and get him some dinner. The look of shock in his eyes that we would be willing to do that was priceless, something I won't forget. I am cautious however and told him he would have to ride in the back of the pickup and he was more than happy with that. We took him to burger king and I could tell he was having trouble hearing us. We told him he could order whatever he wanted. He was in shock, he didn't know what to do, but we got him what he wanted and we all sat down to eat. To say the least his manners weren't the greatest, but you know I didn't even care, he was more than appreciative of the food and he shared some with us. The best part was he was christian and he even pulled a little bible out of his grocery sack to show me and I found a scripture and read it a loud to him. You could see him fight back tears and he listened with a ferocity I hadn't seen in a long time. He was so happy to talk about the LORD and he just said it is hard but I trust GOD and I know he is there for me. WOW can you say eye opener!!!! A man with no food or home or anyway to stay warm and he trusts the LORD for all he will have to deal with. It made me stop and think how selfish and petty I had been earlier in the day. That no matter how many problems with this house we have or such that I am lucky to have it at all!!! Thank you LORD for reminding me of so many things tonight!!
As he was finishing he was still fiddling with his hearing aid and having trouble hearing us so we asked what was wrong with it and he said the battery was going dead. So we drove him back to walmart took him in and I got him a 8 pack of batteries for it and some water. He just kept saying how he was so thankful and that you just don't find people who care anymore. I don't know his whole story and to be honest it doesn't really matter to me. I know we did a good thing and we didn't enable any bad habits either so it was a great thing. The best thing is that he knows it was because of Christ in us that we wanted to help him:)
Just makes you stop and think that no matter how bad it is or how much you need or don't have it could be a lot worse!!! I pray that I will always stay thankful of what I have!!!
This was an amazing and beautiful story. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThat is an absolutely amazing story!! Totally made me cry! I am SO soft hearted, I cannot stand to see someone who is down and out like that! Thank you so much for being so much better of a person than 90% of the country would be! God definitely put you there that night!
ReplyDeleteThank you but it is the LORD in me that makes me so compassionate and gives me the want to help:) I am just glad we were able to help, even though it was only a small thing.
ReplyDelete