backgrounds

Free background from

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Well Back from oregon....and some huge heartbreaks!!!

Well I got back from Oregon a week ago. It was a very quick trip but I did get to see a lot of people and have some great fun and memories. I will try and do a post just about that soon. Got of course pics to go with it:)

Well my oldest dog Reksy got sick while I was gone:( He just wouldn't eat and then sometimes he would so when he didn't eat at all and then he started throwing up and such Eric took him into the vet. That is when Eric called me crying(and this man really doesn't cry over anything) he said that he had stomach cancer and it was some large masses. Of course I lost it and balled like a baby! All I could think is how I let that poor boy down being gone while he was so sick. I would be home soon so they gave him a morphine patch for comfort and Eric brought back my baby. I got home and got to spend one last evening with him and the next afternoon we took him in and he went to wait for us at our ranch in the sky. I can't even begin to tell you how much my heart is still hurting, that dog took a part of it when he went. We have been through so much together and he was my shadow. It has been a week today and my hurt is still so raw and open. He was like a kid to me!!! Here are a few pics of before and right before. I can't believe in just 7 days how quickly it took him. The weight loss and impact.
See my shadow:)

Reksy in 2006
The last evening together as a "family" you can see how sad Eric is:(


Well then the next surprise I got the day I got home was a flash of shiny copper out in the arena. I about fell over when I realized it was my horse Shar. Yes SHAR!! Eric surprised me and brought her home while I was gone. I was soooooooo amazed to see her but as I moved closer my devastation for the day depend. She is soooooo terribly skinny. I was shocked as the people said she was maintaining well and everything. Eric said she had actually gained weight while she was home as he had her on grass. It was hard to see that. I realize she is old and it is hard to keep weight on older horses sometimes but my gosh I wish they would have told me. But like Eric said no one is going to take as good care of her as we will. He said he was sorry he ever let me give her up. What a sweet guy. She is really happy, and seems

healthy other than skinny, her coat is really nice and sleek and shinny. I am trying to hunt down some REALLY good quality horse hay now, I have her on senior feed, corn oil and cool calories. I am introducing all of it slowly as not to colic her. I just want her fat and sassy again:) but I know it takes time. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. She is such a great girl and she deserves the best!!! I will also be getting her to the vet soon just to have her accessed.

I really need to catch up on every ones blogs!!! Miss y'all:)

3 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! I'm so sorry about your dog. :(
    How exciting to have your horse back though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dog Smokey recently died from the same problem and he went down quick too. My sympathies. It is hard to lose your shadow.

    Good luck with the horse. I have found that it can take 6 months to a year to get the weight back on an older horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, what a mixed bag to come home to. I'm sorry for the loss of your Resky.

    The grass should be getting pretty good around there about now, so I bet your mare will gain well. SD grass is amazing and will only get better as the year goes on.

    I just ordered some flax seed oil for Moon and a gallon of it was only $18.99(+shipping)from Country Supply (now called Horse.com). I like the flax seed over corn oil because it has all of the good Omega vitamins and is easier to digest. Also, you might try an inexpensive probiotic like Fastrack to help the old girl digest her feed better.

    How very thoughtful of your husband to bring Shar home to surprise you. Gotta love a man like that.:)

    ReplyDelete