Thursday, June 23, 2011
giardia...Really!
Ok I know giardia is around a lot and a lot of people get it. But I didn't realize it was so abundant in dogs. My poor old dog wasn't doing so hot yesterday afternoon. I thought he just got to warm outside. I have him in our huge stock trailer with all the sides out and fans going but he seemed not so hot so I cooled him slowly with water and put him by the fan and took his temp. 104.5:( YIKES!!! started watching him closely and monitoring and it started going down after couple hours and was at 103.1 and he started acting better but this am he was back to 104.1 so it was on the phone to find a vet to see him. Luckily the vet in rifle could have me drop him off and they were awesome so it is nice to know I have a good vet close and reasonably priced, even though it was an expensive visit. Turns out he has giardia and another bacteria so he is on couple antibiotics and pain meds for the cramping. POOR GUY:( So now I have to watch the others and hope they didn't catch it. I am bleaching everything and having to clean the whole yard. Now we are concerned it came from our drinking water:( He hasn't been anywhere in a long while so either our water or out of the ground. But with the river so high and flooding it may have leaked into our well water they said. Probably need to have our water tested. At least we never drink our water. So a missed day of work, a sick dog, and a lot of cleaning equal a not so fun day. But hey I am just sooooooooooo happy it wasn't something worse!!! He is my baby of almost 11 years so him being safe and on the mend is all I need right now!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad to hear he's o.k.! Hate it when somethings in the water but you can't see it.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying the other dogs don't get it.
Sarah
Gia..whata?
ReplyDeleteI take it that is some form of bacterial infection?
Hope all ends up being well with the rest of the crew.
I'm glad Kona is ok and going to be ok! Giardia isn't fun for anybody involved.
ReplyDeleteBECG- Giardia is a protozoa. Basically, it's a microscopic bug that usually causes a low grade fever and diarrhea. It can clear up on it's own without antibiotics, but that takes 12-18 months in which your critter is miserable. If it helps, think "dysentery".
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky you all caught it early on. That is a nasty little bug. Better have your water tested just to make sure,Hope it is not in your well although I am sure it is not hard to get rid of. You can probably pour a jug of clorox in well and let it do it's work!
ReplyDelete