backgrounds

Free background from

Monday, June 14, 2010

Really TORN!!!!! What should I do???

OK so maybe some of you have read my previous posts about my horses that I gave up. It has been about a year and a half ago and still everyday I think about it and am sad. I loved them both VERY much but especially Shar, she was my baby!!! I did everything with her...rodeo, medieval horse back fighting, parades, etc. etc. She has always been the best horse. I miss her everyday. But it was hard for her from the time we moved to Nebraska as she was 19 at the time and the extreme cold winters were hard on her. But last year after fighting with the cancer and such all the bills were stacking up and I was spending money I needed for medication to take care of my horses and then we had to move to the new ranch since we were about to loose our house. But when we moved to the new ranch the horses had to be kept in a pasture over two miles from the house and with no shelter and the first night there they tore themselves to bits on the barbed wire even though we walked a lot of the 400 acre fence line with them before we let them go. It broke my heart so bad to see them so bad off and I knew thatShar would not do well through a harsh sandhills winter with no shelter so I made the decision to send them to a rescue facility that let kids ride them. It broke me into a million pieces!!! But I did finally feel like they were in a better place that had better facilities to take care of them and then chief did get adopted out so that was good.

Ok here is my what should I do??? I just got an email from the rescue and they are wanting to find Shar a home as she has to be on a special diet to keep weight on and that keeps her farther from the herd so the kids don't pick her to ride as much. So they would like to know if I would want to take her back. Part of me of course screams yes I want my baby back, but the other parts of me are sooooooo scared??? For one it is a long drive back to Lincoln to get her, she is 23 now and I am not sure I want to have her here for the winters, I am not sure we are in a position to afford to be able to take care of all the emergency's that may occur? I am not sure how much longer she will be ride able, and sooo on. Maybe also It hurt sooooo bad to give her up the first time I don't want to have to do it a second time if it doesn't work out or if she passes away. And with ranch life we really never know when we may have to move for sure and then finding a place for lots of horses is hard. But I have been dieing to get to ride again and been wanting to get another horse, but it would have to be exactly the right horse, which is Shar but about 20 years younger:)

I just really don't know what to do and I want to make a good responsible decision for her and me!

6 comments:

  1. I just said a prayer for your decision. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for your decision. Take a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a hard one and I wish I had some advice to offer, but I don't. I'd probably lean more towards taking her back, just so you know she's with someone who cares about her special needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the emotional toll this decision is. There are just some horses we get so extremely attached to. I just went through the misery of putting my beloved old mare down last fall. She was my 'one in a million'.

    However, life doesn't always deal us fairly. If I was in your position, I would have to say, I would probably ask the rescue to put her down for me. This way, you do not have to go through the emotional toll of losing her again nor will you ever have to worry that due to personal circumbstances she may have to endure less than ideal living conditions or the stress of moving again.

    But you are definitely between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure neither decision will come easily or without misgivings. But you must remember, your decision is for the good of your beloved horse, not for you personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I still am not sure what I am going to do but I will make a decision in the next few weeks. I talked to the rescue and they said other than needing a kind of special diet to keep weight on she is great. They love her and such but with the economy they are trying to cut out some of their herd and they know that I love her and miss her so that is why they offered her back. They said she is great to ride and doing well.
    Brown eyed-thanks for your advice but she is not anywhere near needing to be put down maybe I made it seem like she was a broken old nag sorry that isn't what I was saying:) THose arabs live longer lives than most horses.

    I think a lot of it is I am just scared and I need to quit being that way and think about the good also:) I do miss her and no matter what I am going to do what is best for her. MY husband wants me to get her back. Like he said we have way better facilities here and she will be right by the house and we have access to better vet facilities. SO I don't know I will just keep praying and wait for the LORDs answer:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. think there would be no questions only to take her backi

    ReplyDelete